(Reuters) – Leaders of the world’s 20 largest economies are set to decide to supporting efforts to shorten to 100 days the interval wanted to develop new vaccines, medicine and checks in a pandemic, in keeping with a draft joint doc.
DEATHS AND INFECTIONS
* Eikon customers, see COVID-19: MacroVitals https://apac1.apps.cp.thomsonreuters.com/cms/?navid=1592404098 for a case tracker and abstract of stories
* Russia reported 1,163 new deaths, its highest one-day toll of the pandemic, amid a surge in instances that has pressured officers to reimpose partial lockdowns.
* Poland’s whole variety of instances for the reason that begin of the pandemic handed 3 million, well being ministry knowledge confirmed, because the fourth wave of infections gathers tempo.
* Crowd browsing is not going to be permitted at concert events in Eire and nightclub goers should type a socially distanced queue to purchase drinks, underneath pointers issued by the federal government for lately reopened venues.
* Ukraine registered a document every day excessive of 26,870 new infections over the previous 24 hours, exceeding the earlier excessive of 26,071 a day earlier, the well being ministry mentioned.
* Rules governing deep-sea mining will take longer to finalise because of the world pandemic, a gaggle of Latin American and Caribbean nations mentioned.
* The U.S. economic system grew at its slowest tempo in additional than a yr within the third quarter as a resurgence in instances additional stretched world provide chains.
* A Chinese language jade buying and selling hub on the border with Myanmar vowed strict management over home outbound journey to halt the unfold of COVID-19, sustaining a few of the hardest zero-tolerance insurance policies in China.
* Malaysia, which mentioned it might proceed with the procurement of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine for kids, introduced its largest ever price range to jump-start a pandemic-battered economic system.
* South Korea will drop all operating-hour curbs on eating places and cafes and implement its first vaccine passport for high-risk venues corresponding to gyms, saunas and bars.
MIDDLE EAST AND AFRICA
* The European Fee suspended funding for its COVID-19 operations to the World Well being Group’s (WHO) programmes within the Democratic Republic of Congo as a result of issues over the U.N. company’s dealing with of a sexual abuse scandal.
* Takeda Pharmaceutical, the Japanese companion for Novavax’s vaccine, is making ready to hunt regulatory approval for a roll-out in Japan early subsequent yr, its prime govt mentioned.
* An estimated 30 million to 50 million doses of Johnson & Johnson’s COVID-19 vaccine made early this yr sits idle in Emergent BioSolutions Inc’s plant in Baltimore awaiting a inexperienced gentle from U.S. regulators to ship, two sources acquainted with the matter mentioned.
* The WHO mentioned it was looking for additional knowledge from Merck on its experimental new antiviral COVID-19 tablet and hoped to problem steering in coming weeks.
* Amazon and Apple earnings took the froth out of U.S. inventory futures and world equities, although the euro held close to one-month highs on euro zone charge rise hopes. [MKTS/GLOB]
(Compiled by Juliette Portala and Sherry Jacob-Phillips ; Modifying by Subhranshu Sahu)