(Reuters) – The U.S. Meals and Drug Administration’s committee of out of doors specialists will weigh in on authorisation of Pfizer Inc and BioNTech SE’s COVID-19 vaccine for emergency use in youngsters aged 5-11.
The panel’s vote to the FDA on Tuesday is a vital regulatory step towards inoculating hundreds of thousands of youngsters in america, the place faculties are largely open for in-person studying.
The FDA isn’t mandated observe the recommendation of its outdoors specialists, however normally does.
However with many components of the world nonetheless awaiting doses for extra weak individuals, the World Well being Organisation has urged nations and corporations that management the worldwide provide of the vaccines to prioritize provide to COVAX.
The next is a listing of some nations which have permitted or are contemplating vaccinating youngsters:
* On Oct. 18, the EU’s medicines regulator mentioned it had began evaluating using Pfizer and BioNTech’s COVID-19 vaccine in 5 to 11-year-old youngsters.
* In June, Denmark mentioned it might provide COVID-19 photographs to youngsters aged 12-15 to spice up its general immunity in opposition to the virus.
* France has began vaccinating these from 12 years upwards, supplied they’ve parental consent.
* Germany in August agreed to make vaccination accessible to all youngsters aged 12-17.
* Austria has began vaccinating youngsters aged 12-15.
* Estonia may begin vaccinating youngsters by the autumn, public broadcaster ERR reported, citing the pinnacle of the federal government’s COVID-19 council.
* Hungary began vaccinating 16 to 18-year-olds in mid-Could, in response to Xinhua information company.
* Italy on Could 31 permitted extending using Pfizer’s vaccine to 12-15 yr olds.
* Lithuania’s prime minister mentioned the nation may begin vaccinating youngsters from age 12 in June, information web site Delfi reported.
* Spain begun vaccinating youngsters between 12 and 17 years previous round two weeks earlier than the educational yr in September, the well being minister mentioned.
* Swedish PM says youngsters aged 12-15 might be supplied COVID vaccine later this autumn.
* Greece in July mentioned youngsters aged 12-15 may very well be vaccinated in opposition to COVID-19 with Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna photographs.
* Finland’s capital Helsinki in June mentioned it’ll start giving COVID-19 vaccines to youngsters aged 12 to fifteen who’re vulnerable to contracting a extreme coronavirus an infection.
* On July 27, Eire lowered the age for COVID-19 vaccination to 12 years.
* Poland began providing COVID-19 vaccines to youngsters of ages 12-15.
* Britain’s high medical advisers in September really useful that 12 to 15-year-olds obtain a primary dose of a COVID-19 vaccine.
* Switzerland permitted on June 4 vaccinating 12 to 15-year-olds with Pfizer’s shot, whereas Moderna’s shot was permitted in August for the age group.
* In September, Norway began to supply one dose of Pfizer and BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine to youngsters aged 12 to fifteen
* San Marino has opened vaccinations for youngsters aged 12-15, reported San Marino RTV, citing its Institute for Social Safety.
* In August, Israel on Sunday started providing a COVID-19 booster to youngsters as younger as 12.
* The United Arab Emirates mentioned in August rolled out China’s Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccine to youngsters aged 3-17.
* Bahrain permitted Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccine for youngsters aged 3-11 from Oct. 27.
* Indonesia on June 28 really useful China’s Sinovac vaccine for youngsters aged 12-17.
* An advisory committee to the Indian regulator really useful emergency use of Bharat Biotech’s COVID-19 shot within the 2 to 18 age-group. The regulator’s nod is awaited.
* New Zealand’s medicines regulator has provisionally permitted use of Pfizer’s vaccine for 12-15 yr olds, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern mentioned on June 21.
* Australia mentioned on Sept. 12 it’ll broaden its COVID-19 vaccination drive to incorporate round a million youngsters aged 12-15.
* China on June 5 permitted emergency use of Sinovac’s vaccine for these between three and 17.
* Hong Kong mentioned on June 3 it might open its vaccine scheme to youngsters over the age of 12.
* Singapore opened up its vaccination programme to adolescents aged 12-18 from June 1.
* Japan on Could 28 permitted using Pfizer’s vaccine for these aged 12 and above.
* The Philippines on Could 26 determined to permit the Pfizer-BioNTech’s vaccine for emergency use in youngsters aged 12-15.
* Jordan in July begun vaccinating youngsters aged 12 years and older in opposition to COVID-19.
* The COVID-19 vaccine by Pfizer-BioNTech would be the just one utilized in Mexico for at-risk youngsters aged 12-17.
* Brazil on June 11 permitted use of Pfizer’s vaccine for youngsters over 12.
* On Sept. 6, Chile permitted the COVID-19 vaccine produced by China’s Sinovac Biotech Ltd to be used in youngsters over 6 years of age.
* Pfizer and BioNTech are in search of clearance for a ten microgram dose model of the vaccine in youngsters aged 5-11, versus 30 mg for everybody over the age of 12. The shot has been licensed for ages 12-15 since Could and cleared for everybody over 16 since December.
* Canada in early Could permitted use of Pfizer’s vaccine to be used in youngsters aged 12-15. On Oct. 18, Well being Canada obtained a submission from Pfizer/Biontech to authorize using shot in youngsters between 5 and 11 years of age.
* Cuba’s vaccination marketing campaign contains youngsters as younger as two.
* On Sept. 13, El Salvador cleared using COVID-19 vaccine in 6 to 11-year-old youngsters. (https://bit.ly/30RiKe7)
* South Africa will begin vaccinating youngsters between the ages of 12 and 17 subsequent week utilizing the Pfizer vaccine
(Compiled by Sarah Morland, Olivier Cherfan, Juliette Portala, Caleb Davis and Laura Marchioro in Gdansk; Dania Nadeem and Leroy Leo in Bengaluru; Modifying by Ankur Banerjee, Anil D’Silva and Shinjini Ganguli)